About Me

My photo
I was a proud warrior. I have a lot of pride for my country.

Saturday, July 30, 2011

My thoughts on slavery...just my thoughts

I’d like to express my opinion about a subject that is near and dear to me. Not only because I think it’s a sad thing to do, but because I’ve lived and experienced it. I’d like to talk to you all about Slavery in America. Just as Kings and land owners did during my time, many of America’s wealthy bought and owned slaves. The one big difference is that people were being captured from other countries and forced into this lifestyle. I on the other hand, was captured after battle and forced into slavery. The way these young men and women were taken from their home land was sad to see. There have been many very important slaves throughout the slavery period, however, I will comment on just a few and the importance of their actions. The first one I will talk about is Frederick Douglass (1818-1895). He was a slave who attempted to flee his masters many times, but was always captured. Once he did escaped for good he became one of the greatest anti-slavery leaders in history! He also put forth great efforts for women’s rights. Another important slave, although not alone in her efforts, was Araminta Ross; also known as Harriet Tubman (1820-1913). She was important because even though she had escaped from slavery, she risked everything going back and leading over 300 escaped slaves north to freedom in Canada. She did this for 10 years using a route that came to be known as the “Underground Railroad” and Harriet Tubman was the most famous conductors of this railroad! I admire a woman who could have that much courage at a time where women didn’t have any rights. The final person I’d like to mention is a man who made both legal and constitutional history by suing for his freedom. Even though he wasn’t the first, nor was he the last to sue for his freedom, Dred Scott still made his moment in history! His case went all the way up to the US Supreme Court in May 1857. Sadly, after many long trials, he eventually lost his case. His dedicated perseverance didn't go unnoticed because his case eventually helped to ratify the Thirteenth Amendment which abolished slavery and involuntary servitude. So, even though I was forced into slavery because I was a prisoner of war, these poor individuals were forced into slavery because of ignorant, selfish people using their power to do as they wanted. I’m proud to see all the great accomplishments of these individuals despite all the oppression they faced. I’m glad to see that now a days there is NO slavery!

1 comment:

  1. Akar, did these certain individuals stick out to you because of their accomplishments or do you someday hope to do the same for your people as a leader?

    ReplyDelete